Preferred by Nature is a non-profit, mission driven organisation that works for sustainable land management and climate-friendly solutions. With 300+ employees and a network of local experts, we develop practical solutions to drive positive impacts in production landscapes and supply chains in 100+ countries. We focus on forest and climate impact commodities and related sectors.
We are now looking for an Environmental Specialist to join our team in Spain on a permanent contract.
What you will do
As an Environmental Specialist your main tasks will be involved in all technical aspects of Forest Management certification evaluations, including auditing, customer service, quality control and supporting general Forestry and Agriculture development in Spain.
Other duties will include:
- Provide technical assistance on environmental and biodiversity issues to other Preferred by Nature staff within the country
- Develop and maintain strong technical expertise in the Union for Ethical BioTrade (UEBT), Rainforest Alliance (RA) and Forest Stewardship CouncilTM (FSCTM) policies, standards and protocols
- Support the administrative and technical coordination and execution of new Preferred by Nature services introduced in Spain
- Manage questions and disputes relating to active certification evaluations and clients consistent with Preferred by Nature and FSC, RA and UEBT policies
- Support Agriculture-based projects in Spain from both technical and administrative perspectives
- Coordinate and execute UEBT, RA and FSC Forest Management (FM) audits (evaluations and annual audits) in Spain
- Act as an auditor (team member and later as lead auditor) on selected UEBT, RA and FSC FM evaluations
Who you are
- Have a university degree in environmental science or a related field
- Have a minimum of 2-3 years of field experience in a similar role
- Experienced with auditing and/or familiarity with FSC FM or RA SAS standards will be considered an additional asset
- Proficient in Spanish and English
- Available travelling nationwide (approx. 30%) as part of your job role
- Have a high level of integrity and business ethics to strike a balance between serving clients and, at the same time, not compromising your role
- Comfortable making independent decisions, as the nature of the job requires you to work independently, often remotely from your colleagues
- Believe in Preferred by Nature’s mission and want to contribute to it
What we offer you
- An in-depth onboarding and professional training to equip you with the right skills and knowledge to thrive in this role
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative global organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- Potential future international travel opportunities
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Work time: 40 hours/week
- Employee wellness programme
- Working location: home office and travel (approx. 30%)
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- The position is located in Spain, with the possibility to work remotely
- The position holder reports to the Team leader for Agriculture Director based in Spain
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply
If you feel you meet the requirements of the role, please submit your Letter of Application and CV (in English), including salary expectations by 30 December 2022 via the application form below.
Please note: Only applicants legally eligible to work in Spain will be considered.
Application pre-screening will be conducted during the application period.
Preferred by Nature wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact:
Anna Yavlyanskaya, HR Specialist