Preferred by Nature is a non-profit, mission driven organisation that works for sustainable land management and climate-friendly solutions. With 300+ employees and a network of local experts, we develop practical solutions to drive positive impacts in production landscapes and supply chains in 100+ countries. We focus on forest and climate impact commodities and related sectors.
We are now looking for a Responsible Sourcing Specialist to join our team in China on a permanent contract.
What you will do
As a Responsible Sourcing Specialist, your main tasks will be to support the provision of timber legality and sustainability services in and beyond China. The role will include providing advisory services to a global portfolio of clients in the forestry and agriculture sector. The responsibilities include:
- Responsible Sourcing: Development and provision of tailored services aimed at supporting companies’ mainstream sustainability in their business practices. The service will help companies create and implement sustainability policies, provide training and support for implementation, map and assess risk in supply chains, conduct onsite auditing, develop innovative tools, develop and implement solutions to problems the clients face in their sustainability journey. As well as timber, the commodities also include pulp/paper, viscose, rubber, tea, coffee, palm oil, biomass, etc.
- Mission-driven projects: manage and/or implement the projects which are funded by donors (including governments, NGOs or other institutions).
- Timber Legality: Working closely with clients and suppliers around the world to effectively schedule and conduct a desk-based risk assessment, onsite auditing and mitigation activities aimed at meeting the sustainability requirement and /or the timber regulations (e.g., UK/EUTR, Lacey Act, Australian Illegal Logging Prohibition Act) and other applicable timber regulations. The main focus of the role will be to support the Project and Solutions team in conducting risk assessments and auditing manufacturing facilities in China to assess the risk of illegal timber in supply chains. The role will also involve working closely with companies to implement solutions to problems through gap analysis, action plan development, training, providing support to help them implement segregation and chain of custody systems, implementing new procedures for collecting documentation and improving communication with their buyers in regulated markets.
- Sales and Marketing: Providing technical sales support to Country Managers and the Marketing Development Unit for specific leads as well as for long-term business planning. Conduct sales and marketing activities to raise the profile of Preferred by Nature. You will also facilitate Preferred by Nature’s global team of staff to understand our services and effectively sell these services in the market.
- Other duties as assigned
Who you are
- Have a university degree in forestry/biology/geography/environmental management OR Vocational education from the timber processing/trading industry
- At least Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, forestry, environmental management, or related fields.
- Working experiences in corporate social responsibility, responsible sourcing or ESG policy development and implementation at big retailers/brands or international organisations.
- Experience working in more than one of the following areas (or related areas): agriculture, forestry, green financing, carbon management, textile, natural rubber, and nature protection of minimum 5 years.
- Knowledge of timber legality legislation and renewable energy directives, a plus.
- Communication skills - Excellent oral and written communication skills in both Mandarin Chinese and English are essential.
- Strong computer knowledge (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce).
- Comfortable making independent decisions, as the nature of the job requires you to work independently, often remotely from your colleagues
- Believe in Preferred by Nature’s mission and want to contribute to it.
If you have the qualities listed above, we are delighted to discuss your potential further.
What we offer you
- 20 days of vacation
- An in-depth onboarding and professional training to equip you with the right skills and knowledge to thrive in this role.
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative global organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- Potential future international travel opportunities
- A friendly, international team of colleagues with a pleasant work environment
- Work time: 40 hours/week
- Working location: office in Beijing or home office
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- The position is located in China with the possibility to work remotely.
- The position holder reports to the Senior Responsible Sourcing Specialist at Tailored Service Division, based in China.
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply
If you feel you meet the requirements of the role, please submit your Letter of Application and CV (in English and Chinese), including salary expectations by 20 December 2022 via the application form below.
Please note: Only applicants legally eligible to work in China will be considered.
Application pre-screening will be conducted during the application period.
Preferred by Nature wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact:
Fahmi Wahab, Senior HR Specialist – Asia