Do you need to source FSC Controlled Wood?
You will need to source Controlled Wood for the manufacture of FSC Mix products if:
- Your supplies of FSC-certified raw material are insufficient for you to be able to sell products that consist entirely of FSC-certified material.
- It is difficult or expensive for you to physically separate certified from non-certified material.
There are three main options for sourcing Controlled Wood (CW) supplies:
1. Buy Controlled Wood from a forest with a Controlled Wood certification
Forests that have a Controlled Wood certification are listed in the FSC’s database at info.fsc.org. Note that there are not many forests that have this type of certification. Most are tropical.
If you are sourcing wood from non-certified forests, you may want to work with your suppliers to obtain Controlled Wood certification. This can be a major first step on the road to obtaining FSC certification.
2. Buy Controlled Wood from a supplier with an FSC Controlled Wood chain of custody certificate
You can buy Controlled Wood from a company that has Controlled Wood chain of custody included within their FSC certification. Such companies can typically offer both FSC-certified products and Controlled Wood products.
Forests that have a Controlled Wood certification are listed in the FSC’s database at info.fsc.org. Companies that are certified to sell Controlled Wood are listed in the FSC’s database at info.fsc.org. Look out for the green checkmark in the Controlled Wood column. Thousands of companies are approved to sell FSC Controlled Wood.
3. Get your own Controlled Wood Chain of Custody certification
For information on how to do this, see here.