Learn more about this sustainable travel movement helping business, nature and people work together for a better future.
As part of our programmes, The Long Run represents our commitment to accelerating the expansion of nature conservation by the private sector and within the tourism industry. The Long Run is a membership organisation comprised of nature-based tourism businesses committed to applying responsible practices to their management operations.
Founded in 2009 by Jochen Zeitz as part of Zeitz Foundation's initiative, The Long Run focuses on maintaining a healthy and productive planet for posterity, as a global-scope community. In March 2020, Preferred by Nature joined forces with The Long Run and has since been recognised as the host of the programme.
The Long Run ensures that travel experiences have a positive impact, and that conservation is socially and financially sustainable. Collectively, the community has conserved over 23-million acres of biodiversity and improved the lives of approximately 750,000 people. The Long Run is committed to supporting, connecting and inspiring nature-based businesses to excel in keeping with the highest sustainability standards, covering Conservation, Community, Culture and Commerce (4Cs).
- Conservation. Thriving ecosystems and biodiversity are integral to the survival of people and our planet. Conservation is safeguarding this biodiversity to support global needs.
- Community. People matter; it is the right of every person to have their basic needs met, and enhancing the well-being of communities is a fundamental obligation of all.
- Culture. Celebrating cultural diversity and commonality nurtures understanding and fosters connections. Respecting cultural difference is crucial to our future.
- Commerce. Trading has been central to the development of civilisation over thousands of years and is likely to remain so, and so sustainability must be central to business.
By joining The Long Run, nature-based tourism businesses are connected to a global community committed to the highest standards in sustainable travel and conservation. Members support and inspire each other to expand their positive impact. Being a part of The Long Run also enables businesses to embed sustainability into their operations, reach their full potential and seek continual improvement. Click the tabs below to learn more.
The Long Run's membership is divided into four categories:
Global Ecosphere Retreats®
Global Ecosphere Retreats® represents the highest level of membership in The Long Run community. These nature-based properties have completed onsite and remote external assessments to meet the rigorous GER® standard requirements, recognised by the Global Sustainable Travel Council (GSTC).
Members are re-evaluated every three years and re-assessed every six years.
Fellow Members are nature-based properties that own, manage or influence a significant ecosystem. They demonstrate a commitment to the 4Cs and a continuous journey of improvement in sustainability.
Each Fellow Member gains offsite and onsite support to embed the 4Cs into their operations and decision-making. These members work towards the GER® standard, which is considered a milestone rather than an end goal.
Travel Partners are tour operators, agents, travel designers and any business selling travel that actively aligns with The Long Run's community and commitment to the 4Cs. They gain access to experts, members, events and network while being able to tap into a menu of 'pay-as-you-go' services for further support.
In return, Travel Partners support and promote the work of The Long Run as well as Fellow and GER® Members.
Affiliate Members are highly regarded non-profits, academics, experts and media platforms that align closely with The Long Run's ethos. They provide in-kind support to expand The Long Run's mission and support members.
To become a member, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more on The Long Run website.
Being part of The Long Run will bring you a host of benefits.
A united mission
- Amplify and refine mission via big picture conservation and sustainable travel discussions with other changemakers.
- Accelerate positive change within private conservation and travel.
A supported journey
- Personal and tailored technical support to embed sustainability into day-to-day operations, continuously improve business practices, and address specific challenges.
- Access to recommended experts for additional support and plan implementation.
- GER® and Fellow members gain access to fundraising opportunities.
A collaborative community
- Access to The Long Run’s network of members and experts.
- Exchange of knowledge and experience between members.
- Opportunity to participate in joint projects, including fundraising initiatives for 4C work, biodiversity measurement, environmental management, carbon footprinting, and carbon mitigation.
A transformational experience
- Recognition and profiling on The Long Run website, social media and use of affiliation with The Long Run, its name and logos.
- Communications, marketing and team training resources to communicate positive impact and 4C journey, along with focused joint marketing and PR opportunities with other Long Run members.
Find out more on The Long Run website.