The SRP Standard for Sustainable Rice Cultivation is the first voluntary sustainability standard in the world used for rice production. The Standard applies to all farm-level processes in rice cultivation.
The Standard is complemented by a set of 12 quantitative Performance Indicators used to monitor impacts of adoption of climate-smart best practices and other field interventions such as training.
The SRP Standard and Indicators provide an objective ‘working definition’ of sustainability that can serve as a normative basis for monitoring and evaluation, policy making, and a benchmark for supply chain assurance schemes.
The Standard applies to all farm-level processes in rice cultivation. The Standard can be applied by individual farmers, smallholder farmer groups, as well as larger farms, and focus on ensuring relevance, practicality and impact, especially for smallholder farmers in developing countries. If applied by a smallholder farmer group, the Standard requires an internal management system (IMS) to support farmers in implementing the Standard, measuring results, and identifying measures for continuous improvement.
To begin your process and receive a service quote, fill in our service request form or contact us. We will guide you on the scope of verification that best fits your needs and farm/company set-up.
The process normally entails the following steps:
|Scope of your verification
|Prepare for your verification
Upon successful verification, we will issue a SRP Verification Statement that specifies the performance of the producers including compliance score, compliance status, verified volume, permitted claims and traceability level. The score and results from the verification audit is valid to consider farmers compliant with the minimum requirements eligible for the use of the SRP label by Chain of Custody (CoC) verified companies.
Your verification statement is valid for 12 months from the date of closure of the verification audit report, which is the date of approval by a reviewer. SRP standard is a continuous improvement scheme. Hence, an annual verification audit is mandatory to ensure your verification statement is valid.
The Standard consists of 46 requirements structured under eight (8) themes, each aimed at achieving a specific sustainability impact. It is designed for farm-level impact at smallholder level. Each requirement is relevant, practical, and under the farmer’s control.
Land conversion and biodiversity
Pure seed quality
Irrigation system at community level
Inbound water quality
|Nutrient management (organic and/or inorganic)
Organic fertilizer choice
Inorganic fertilizer choice
|Integrated Pest Management
|Harvest and Postharvest
|Timing of harvest
|Health and Safety
Tools and equipment
Training of pesticide applicators
Personal protective equipment
Washing and changing
Pesticide and chemical storage
Freedom of association
- Expertise. With over 25 years of experience within certification, we have built a team of qualified auditors located across all continents. We work with companies of all sizes dealing with various agricultural products including coffee, tea, cocoa, and tropical fruit. To date, over 2 million hectares of agriculture farms are included in our certification services against international sustainability standards. More than 4,200 companies and organisations along the global timber and agriculture supply chain have been Chain of Custody certified by us.
- Focus on customer experience. Our aim is to provide you with a beneficial service that is supportive and friendly. Our professional services are delivered on time and to high quality. We will keep you up to speed on evolving certification requirements through client updates and provide you with the full support that you need to understand and fulfil your certification commitments.
- Local presence, global reach. We have a global presence in over 100 countries worldwide. We are working with almost 1 million farmers globally in different agriculture commodities. To date, more than 2 million hectares of agriculture farms are included in our certification services against international sustainability standards
Additional value of engaging with us
- Complementary sustainability services. You can opt for additional services that support your sustainability efforts. For example, you can enlist in Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC™) Chain of Custody (CoC) certification or work with us on responsible packaging if you are using paper-based packaging. Or you could have your carbon footprint management certified - all under one roof.
- The non-profit factor. We are mission-driven, which is reflected in our focus on delivering our services with integrity and a high degree of professionalism.
Five benefits of choosing SRP verified rice
|Public trust. Opting for SRP verification statement for rice is an effective way to demonstrate your sustainability commitment.
|Enhanced investor relations. Sustainability performance is increasingly viewed as a key factor in investment decisions.
|Improved quality and management systems. Certified organisations or companies find that verification process itself brings unexpected benefits such as cost savings.
|Enhanced access to new markets and customers. Farmers will benefit from the Sustainable Rice Platform (SRP) Standard and Assurance Scheme as switching to SRP practices can boost net incomes by 10% to 20%.
|Doing the right thing for the environment. Smallholder farmers will benefit from exposure to sustainable farming practice and climate cmart agriculture technologies. Adopting SRP practices can reduce emissions of methane - a potent greenhouse gas - from flooded rice fields by up to 50%.