The project’s aim was to strengthen Saami community organisations of the Kola Peninsula in Russia, to enable the establishment of sustainable livelihoods for Saami people in rural areas.
The activities of the project supported the organisational capacity of the Kildin Ancestral Community through strengthening of its network, capacity building in relation to the media, human resources development in the field of tourism, and feasibility studies on sustainable small-scale economic activities such as community forestry, reindeer herding, sustainable tourism and handicraft production.
Results and impact
The project resulted in the preparation of a development plan for the Kola Saami ancestral communities. Furthermore, the project had the following outcomes:
• Project management
• Feasibility study on community forestry
• Feasibility study on handicraft production
• Feasibility study on reindeer herding Activities
• Technical advice on organisational capacity building
• Technical advice on tourism development