UEBT's certification of ingredients from biodiversity assures that an ingredient is sourced with respect for people and biodiversity. The certification applies to a specific ingredient.
Certification is granted once independent audits conducted by the approved certification body verify compliance with the UEBT standard in the regions where ingredients from biodiversity are sourced. Traceability throughout the area of collection or cultivation is always required.
The UEBT standard serves as the basis for UEBT certification. It covers economic issues related to sourcing ingredients from biodiversity.
The claims that are permitted differ depending on the type of certification:
- Farms and cooperatives as well as international and local processing companies that hold UEBT ingredient certification may use the UEBT certification label for ingredients on their certified ingredient’s packaging when selling to customers.
- Companies that also hold UEBT certification for their ethical sourcing system may use the UEBT certification label for ingredients on final products as long as the certified ingredient is mentioned.
- UEBT member companies that purchase UEBT certified ingredients or that hold a UEBT certificate for an ingredient can make text claims of ‘UEBT certified ethically sourced’ about the ingredient or can use the UEBT certification label for the ingredient off-pack. Companies that are not UEBT members can make text claims only.
For more information, download the UEBT Claims and Labelling Policy.
>> Click the tabs below to learn more.
The UEBT schemes include a third-party auditing process. Preferred by Nature is an accredited independent third-party evaluation body that has adhered to the UEBT certification requirements. As such, we can offer our commitment and expertise to carry out the UEBT certification procedure.
The process usually covers the following steps:
Scope of your certificate. We will help you identify the scope that best fits your needs and company setup. Once you have accepted our offer, we will assign a Preferred by Nature contact person for your organisation.
Prepare for certification: You need to develop the required procedures and instruct all relevant staff. We will review and provide feedback on your procedures before the on-site visit.
On-site audit: When you are ready, we will conduct an on-site assessment to check your compliance with the UEBT certification requirements. This is done through direct observations, document reviews and staff interviews.
Draft report: We draft a formal report which is reviewed by a senior Preferred by Nature expert, then reviewed by UEBT and submitted to you for comments prior to its completion.
Certification: Based on a positive outcome, UEBT issues your ingredient certificate.
The certificate issued by UEBT remains valid for one year. Once the validity period ends, you need to be reassessed to renew your certificate.
As UEBT offers three certification programmes, you can have ingredient certification held in conjunction with:
Ethical Sourcing System certification
The certification is for businesses that source ingredients from biodiversity through a system that respects people and nature. It is a set of policies and procedures that promote innovation and sourcing practices for natural raw materials in line with the UEBT standard.
UEBT member companies with a certified ethical sourcing system may display the UEBT certification mark on products and packaging according to the UEBT Claims and Labelling Policy.
UEBT/Rainforest Alliance Herbs & Spices Programme
This certification combines requirements from Rainforest Alliance and UEBT standards and applies to all ingredients for herbal and fruit infusions (including rooibos) and other herbs and spices, including vanilla, cinnamon, chilli or pepper.
All ingredients certified under this can carry the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal.
Wider sustainability service choice
We are a certification body approved to conduct audits for a number of certification programmes, including agricultural schemes, such as:
- Rainforest Alliance Sustainable Agriculture Standard (RA SAS) Farm and Supply Chain certification
- GLOBALG.A.P. fruit and vegetables certification
- GLOBALG.A.P. chain of custody certification
- Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) Supply Chain Certification (SCC) and Principle & Criteria (P&C) certification
- Sustainable Rice Platform (SRP)
- Starbucks® C.A.F.E. Practices
Our work includes the development of practical solutions to drive positive impacts in production landscapes and supply chains. We do this through innovative projects, capacity building and sustainability services.
We have created a universal framework to ensure big and small companies can optimise their positive impact. Our Sustainability Framework can put any business on the right path - from legal compliance to best practices. Depending on the location in the supply chain, companies can use the framework in different ways.
While highlighting the high-risk areas that need attention, the Sustainability Framework helps businesses filter out low-risk indicators to target their efforts where they will make the most significant impact.
- Expertise. Preferred by Nature is an international non-profit organisation working to support better land management and business practices that benefit people, nature and the climate in 100+ countries. For over 25 years, we have been working to foster sustainable land use and responsible trade in forest commodities. We have certified over 80 million hectares of forests and over 800,000 farmers. Our customers include retailers, food producers and traders, multinational multi-site and group certificate holders, as well as small companies and smallholders.
- Focus on customer experience. We keep you up to speed on the certification requirements and we take pride in providing clear and full answers to your questions.
- Industry insight. We cater to companies of all sizes and from all business sectors along the supply chain. For any line of business and company setup, we possess insight into the specific options and challenges of certification that apply to your organisation.
- Local presence, global reach. With staff located in over 40 countries across the globe and backed by an extensive global network of experts, we cater to companies worldwide.
- Wider service choice. We offer a wide range of additional services to support your sustainability efforts.
- The non-profit factor. We are mission driven. This is reflected in our focus on quality, information sharing and capacity building.
Choose UEBT certification and take advantage of these benefits.
|Help protect the environment. UEBT certification was developed to address the global concern that ingredients are sourced from biodiversity through a system that respects people and nature. With UEBT certification, you assure customers that their choice helps conserve the environment.|
|Access new markets and customers. Consumers are increasingly demanding businesses to demonstrate their commitment to the ethical sourcing of ingredients from biodiversity. Through UEBT certification, you can show your dedication to sourcing with respect.|
|Enhanced visibility and branding opportunities. UEBT certification is an effective way for businesses to demonstrate impact on consumers, governments and other supply chain actors. UEBT certification allows consumers to choose brands, products and ingredients that contribute to a world in which all people and biodiversity thrive.|
|Improved quality and management systems. Many certified companies have found that the certification process brings unexpected benefits, such as cost savings.|
Join a larger responsible community. UEBT members are committed companies involved in natural ingredient supply chains in the food, cosmetics and natural pharmaceutical sectors. These members adhere to the UEBT standard to assure consumers that their products are made with ingredients sourced with respect for people and biodiversity.