The aim of the project "Implementation of NATURA 2000 Network at the Regional and National Level" was to realise the establishment of Natura 2000 sites in Lithuania according to a national list of proposed sites.
The process for this project was based on scientific criteria and subject to political discussions as well as public stakeholder consultations. The consultations took place as rounds of public hearings in all of the areas where proposed Natura 2000 sites are found, including public announcement, public meetings, recording of inputs from stakeholders and revision of plans after consideration of the responses.
The hearings were followed up by awareness raising activities, such as media work at local and national level, public events, and a subscription service for electronic Natura 2000 news.
Results and impact
The project developed a Lithuanian Natura 2000 home page, which includes publicly available maps of proposed sites as well as lists and descriptions of all Natura 2000 species and habitats found within Lithuania. The public awareness raising activities were based on an analysis of relevant stakeholders and potential target groups. Furthermore, the project had the following outcomes:
- Project Management
- Technical Advice on Endangered Species
- Technical Advice on GIS and Biological Databases
- Technical Advice and inputs to the production of Management Plans
- Technical Advice on Legal Issues and International Conventions
- Technical Advice on Public hearings
- Technical Advice on Public Awareness
- Provision of training needs analysis, organisation of training/seminars for over 80 participants and preparation of report on factural readiness of staff.