Sustainability Framework Programme
In an era where sustainability covers an array of interconnected challenges, from child labour and gender equality to deforestation and climate change, the question arises: Can a single tool truly address them? Meet the Sustainability Framework.
Looking to improve your production practices? Whether you are a small-scale forest operator embarking on your sustainability journey or a global manufacturer sourcing commodities far and wide, the Sustainability Framework offers a solid foundation for continuous improvement.
While it functions as a universal framework, its power also lies in its adaptability. The framework uses a risk-based approach that evaluates critical sustainability issues based on the commodity, region and scale of activity.
The Sustainability Framework draws inspiration from several existing international sustainability schemes and aligns with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It also stands in alignment with the EU Deforestation Regulation (EUDR).
Explore the possibilities of how the Sustainability Framework Programme can elevate your sustainability efforts.
Jump to a specific section:
- Verification options
- Add-on to existing certifications options
- The Preferred by Nature Seal
- EU Deforestation Regulation alignment
- 5 reasons to choose the Sustainability Framework
- Partners’ testimonials
Get verified to show your impact
Whether you are a forester, farmer, supply chain company, or engaged in manufacturing and processing, we offer solutions to realise your sustainability objectives through verification against the Sustainability Framework.
- Verification for forest & farm managers
- Chain of Custody Verification (coming soon)
- Due Diligence Sourcing Verification (coming soon)
Already certified under other schemes?
No problem! We have carefully benchmarked the Sustainability Framework against the main established standards we work with. This enables us to offer verification against the Sustainability Framework as an add-on to existing certifications that we offer. The add-on verification focuses only on the topics not yet covered by these schemes.
Level up your existing certificates with our Sustainability Framework verification. Our verification audit has been thoughtfully designed to seamlessly integrate with your current audits performed by us. This approach not only maximises efficiency but also helps you achieve cost savings.
Forest Stewardship CouncilTM (FSCTM) Forest Management Standard
Forest managers who hold an FSC Forest Management certification with Preferred by Nature and would like to use the Preferred by Nature Sustainability Framework-related claims must comply with additional requirements for FSC-certified forest management operations, where applicable.
Rainforest Alliance 2020 Sustainable Agriculture Standard: Farm Requirements
Rainforest Alliance Sustainable Agriculture Farm-certified companies can apply for an add-on verification. The add-on requirements can be seamlessly integrated into your next scheduled audit.
>> Find out more about our add-on options here.
Elevate your sustainability with the Preferred by Nature Seal
The Preferred by Nature Seal is your gateway to showcasing your organisation's commitment to sustainable business practices. It signifies that your products originate from farms or forests managed with respect for people, nature and the climate.
2 primary ways to unlock the Seal's potential:
- Verified foresters and farmers may use it to communicate the organisation's verified status: Verified organisation can display the Seal across their communication channels, affirming their verified status.
- Using the Seal in relation to final products: When consumers choose products bearing the Seal, they know that they are making environmentally and socially responsible purchasing decisions. Organisations aiming to use the Seal in relation to final products must meet two additional criteria in addition to conformance with the Sustainability Framework:
- Responsibly manage the carbon footprint of the product: This includes measuring the products carbon footprint and having a transparent plan for reducing it. Conformance with the Preferred by Nature Carbon Footprint Management Standard is required for this.
- Positive impact: A financial contribution to projects that promote climate-positive impacts, generating tangible benefits for people, nature and the climate. Various options are available for this, as detailed in the Preferred by Nature Seal Use Policy.
Organisations involved in manufacturing, processing or trading of non-final products may also use the Seal for segregation purposes. This method helps to distinguish verified products as they journey through the supply chain.
Meeting the EU Deforestation Regulation requirements
To help organisations meet the requirements of the EU Deforestation Regulation for agricultural commodities and wood products, we have benchmarked the indicators in our Sustainability Framework with the new Regulation and selected 46 indicators for EUDR verification.
These indicators can help businesses align with the new law and help farmers and foresters identify pathways to producing legal and deforestation-free products.
Find out more:
5 reasons to choose the Sustainability Framework
|A comprehensive framework for sustainability practices, covering climate considerations|
|An adaptable all-in-one standard with focus on outcomes and performance|
|Unlocking synergies with other certification schemes|
|EU Deforestation Regulation alignment|
|Communicating sustainability and climate mitigation efforts using the Preferred by Nature Seal|
Hear from our partners
|"The work done for us by Preferred by Nature and their Brazilian partner for this collaboration, Imaflora, is excellent. The report that was produced is very good, but when you look at the raw data backing that report up, it is really a goldmine. It is the encyclopedia of sugar cane sourcing in this part of Brazil."|
|"Preferred by Nature took the time to understand our questions and problem statement. Their Sustainability Framework is a great starting point to assess materials and the risks associated with including them in your supply chain."|
|"Cooperating with Preferred by Nature has been incredibly valuable. I am very impressed by the local knowledge, which is essential when working in this area. Preferred by Nature has delivered a very thorough piece of work."|
|"Preferred by Nature and Martin Guitar share the same vision: ‘To pass on the Earth to coming generations in a good shape, we must urgently invent and adopt more sustainable ways of living, sourcing and trading."|
Explore our comprehensive range of services and support available in the sections below.